Thursday, July 22, 2010

Introducing Reese Sophia!



Well, it's taken me 5 days to get this posted, but that's not so bad, right? Apparently, life with a newborn is pretty busy! Reese is sleeping peacefully in her Moses basket next to me, so I'm going to try to update everyone on how things have been going. In case I don't make it to the end of this post due to a needy newborn, the short answer is that things are going well. :)

As all of you know by now, Reese Sophia was born on July 17, 2010 at 2:50 a.m. She was 6lbs, 4oz, & 19" long. She has a full head of beautiful hair, and we are so in love with her.









Our stay in the hospital was good. Our nurses were fantastic, & we were very well taken care of. However, it was really hard to get any sleep (or to keep the baby asleep) when nurses were coming in every hour to check me or check her. It was exhausting, and Reese didn't take well to it. The only way that she would sleep while we were in the hospital was naked on my chest. I loved having her snuggled up to me, but that meant that I couldn't get much sleep because I was so worried about watching her & making sure that she was ok. I was also so exhausted that I was afraid that if I fell asleep that I would not hold her tight enough or safely enough. So, I laid with one eye propped open. Before we had the baby, everyone advised us to take advantage of our time in the hospital to rest. I don't really see how that would have been possible with all of the constant interruptions. Needless to say, we left the hospital pretty sleep deprived.

Once we got home, Reese settled right in. She slept GREAT our first night home. She allowed us to lay her in her bassinet, & she slept for 2-4 hour stretches in between feedings. It was heaven. She has also been great about letting us lay her in the Moses basket during the day. Although, most of the time, I prefer to just hold her & stare at her. :)

As most of you also know, I was re-admitted into the hospital for the day yesterday due to heavy bleeding. It was a VERY scary day, but Reese made the day so much better. She was an absolute angel. She slept ALL day long, & only woke up to feed. She never even cried once. She was the best comfort I could have asked for while we hung out in the hospital room. It was so nice to lay in bed & snuggle with her. It made me feel so much better. Unfortunately, she made up for it last night, & was up about every hour last night. Oh well. Such is life with a newborn, right? I am so lucky to have such a great husband who does EVERYTHING during the day so that I can rest since he can't help out too much in the middle of the night (since I'm nursing). He is taking great care of us, & I would be a mess without him!!!

We have definitely been quickly initiated into the world of parenting via poop explosions. Our first night home, Reese decided to poop and pee twice in the middle of diaper changes, making a huge mess everywhere. We need to get more changing pad covers. We thought 2 would be plenty--we could have one on the pad, & one in the wash. We were wrong. :) We changed her outfit 4 times our first night home due to disasters like this. It was pretty hysterical though.

We have our first pediatrician visit at 3:15 today. We also have a few quick errands to run. I'm a little nervous about figuring out how to nurse while we are out of the house for a few hours, and to make sure that she will not be hungry during the appointment, etc. It's definitely an adjustment trying to figure out how to plan everything around an eat, sleep, poop schedule!

So, that's a quick summary of how things are going. We are loving being parents, despite the hectic events of the past few days. Reese is so sweet, and there is nothing better than holding our baby girl. :)







2 comments:

  1. She is so beautiful!! What a scary situation with the bleeding. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's gorgeous! So glad you're doing better! (I'm a DW nestie and couldn't resist commenting on your beautiful baby.)

    ReplyDelete