Friday, August 13, 2010

Bye, Bye Umbilical Cord

Did you know that little girls can shoot pee 4 feet across the room? I didn't. I do now. After Reese's bath on Tuesday night, we took her into her room & laid her on her changing table. As we were getting ready to put her diaper back on, she decided to pee from her changing table all the way to the rocker. Just for perspective, here is a picture of the distance between these two things.



I just stood there with my mouth hanging open until it finally occurred to me to put my hand there to block it. It was seriously impressive. And messy.

Reese's umbilical cord FINALLY fell off today. She no longer has her last piece of mommy attached to her. Sniff, sniff. I had actually called the pediatrician office on Wednesday because I was getting concerned that it still hadn't fallen off. They said if it wasn't off by Saturday (4 weeks), to bring her in. Well, it fell off this morning, but when it did, her belly button was bleeding & oozing. It was really gross, & it freaked me out. I called the pediatrician, & they said to bring her in. I took her over, and the doctor said that it had formed a granuloma, which I guess is pretty common when the cord stays on for this long. She screamed her head off while he cleaned it & cauterized it, & I felt soooo bad for her. So, it's official--I held her down & played the "bad guy" role today, Matt gets to hold her for her shots at her 2 month visit. It's only fair.

We plopped Reese on the scale when we were at the pediatrician office. She is up to 8 pounds, 5 ounces!!! They say that newborns gain an average of .75 ounces per day. Reese has gained 33 ounces in 27 days! I asked the pediatrician if she was gaining weight too quickly, and his exact words were, "There's no such thing." He said that she is doing great, & that she is "chunking up" nicely. :)



1 comment:

  1. She looks like her Daddy through and through. Simply adorable.

    And I'm still lovin' that white dress!

    ReplyDelete